Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ding, Dong, AVON Calling!

Today we went to the Greenwich St. Patrick's Day Parade. Always a good parade, although Scott and I personally think it was way better back in the day when you could actually BYOB and drink while you were freezing your butt off. After 1 hr., 2 cold kids, 4 hot dogs, 2 shamrock necklaces, 1 Irish sword, 1 magic wand decorated with the Irish flag colors, and handfuls of candy thrown by marchers, we went home. We were all cold and tired and the kids actually fell asleep in the car on the way home. Of course, as I tried to transfer them from car to house they woke up. Then they got their second wind.

Francesca decides that we are going to play "makeup store". She was the AVON lady. I agree, as long as I can sit on the couch and read a magazine. So up she goes into the bathroom and comes down with all of my makeup, plus cotton balls and makeup remover. Uh oh, I am in for it. She starts applying eye shadow to my eyelids (and the surrounding areas of my face) in wide strokes, telling me I look "bee-you-ti-fullll". I then get poked in the eye with a mascara wand. Oops, she says. I now have to explain that eyeliner is not for my cheeks and please don't try to sign your name on my forehead in Luscious Red lipliner. For a moment I thought the game was ending and we would all relax, but no, Gav had to get in on the action.

"Mommy, I am Mr. Gavin. Wait a minute while I put this powder on your face. Ha ha Mommy, you look pretty funny right now. Checka, go get a mirror so Mommy can see how she looks!"

Actually I did not want to see how I looked. I was afraid someone might come to the door and I would have to answer it looking like the Bride of Frankenstein. After a quick swipe of makeup remover they were at it again. Now "Miss Francesca" tells me that I may need to help her for a minute...

"Mommy, do you have any cucumbers? " What for, I ask. "For your eyes, Mommy. You need to cut it up and put slices on your eyes. It makes your eyes pretty." Yes, I have a cucumber. No you are not getting it I tell her. It is for salad this week.

Gavin - "Mommy if you are cutting the cucumber for your eyes could you cut some up for me? I am really hungry. Or I could just eat the cucumber slices when you are done with them..."

I finally had to put a stop to this oh-so-fun game. It took me 10 minutes and alot of soap and makeup remover to get their handiwork off my face. My face is still stinging, 4 hours later.

No comments: